Solvent traps are meant to be threaded onto the end of a barrel. Their main purpose is to collect oils and solvents while the barrel is being cleaned. Even though the end caps of these kits have 1/2-28 or other common threading, the end caps and cups do not have holes as a suppressor would.
CAN YOU BUY A SOLVENT TRAP?
Having a rifle solvent trap is not illegal in and of itself, but you must be very careful when using it. Solvent traps are used, and it is recommended that you use them when making your rifle suppressors. At the federal level, it is not illegal to own or make a suppressor, but depending on the rules in your area, it may be illegal to have one. Two things are very much against the law:
• Having a suppressor that isn’t registered with the ATF and an NFA tax stamp simultaneously. Several steps, documents, and forms must be filled out and sent to the ATF to build or own a suppressor legally.
• You are not breaking the law if you own a solvent trap and use it to catch solvent. On the other hand, it is against the law to own a solvent trap and even makes a suppressor out of it, even if you plan to do this after society has broken down and there is no more law and order. This can be hard to tell. Even if the suppressor was never machined or finished, just having a solvent trap and the other parts needed to make one would be against the law. If you had the solvent trap and the instructions for making a suppressor with you (or, in today’s world, if your Google history showed that you were looking up how to do it), this could be seen as intent, and you would be breaking the law. So, it is not against the law to have the device by itself as a solvent trap. However, it is easy to get into trouble if you read the wrong information online.
HOW DO YOU REGISTER THE SOLVENT TRAP IN THE SUPPRESSOR?
The National Firearms Act of 1934 says that a suppressor is a type of gun. When you ask the BATF for permission to make a silencer, a gun must have a serial number that is permanently stamped into it.
You must fill out an application to get a serial number for your silencer. If you were making one, you would do this. You’ll need to have a serial number put on the silencer as soon as they give it to you.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A FORM 1 KIT?
If you want to make your suppressor from scratch, these are the raw materials you’ll need. These are not silencer parts. Instead, they are pre-machined parts left unfinished so you can build your own silencer at home.
Before any product can be sent out, Form 1 must be approved. This is true for all kits and some of the parts. Only people with an approved Form 1 will be sent kits, and each kit will have a laser tag with NFA engravings that match the approval on Form 1.
WHAT KIND OF MATERIAL SHOULD I USE FOR SOLUTION CAPTURE?
- When you want to make your tubes, baffles, and end caps, stainless steel and aluminum from the 7000-series work well.
- Carbon steel from the 4000-series is a cheaper alternative. Because steel is so heavy, it is often mixed with these other metals.
- Titanium: If you want the best and have access to professional drilling tools, titanium is the material you should choose.